Sunday, August 28, 2011

Actors Acting

Praising a Character – Alexander Supertramp by Emile Hirsh


I guess we all admire when someone transforms in someone else, this case, Emile Hirsh into Chris McCandless.
First I must say Sean Penn made something that I know everyone is so grateful for. He did all the work. I know someone who can’t seem to watch the entire film because he already knows what’s going to happen, he says. Then I thought, curiously that excuse is exactly what the film proves wrong; I think he can’t bear the realism and selfishness of this protagonist’s words and ideologies and he doesn’t believe the journey is worth it. I’ve seen Into the Wild a few times and I keep re-watching it, entirely, because I’m not able to pass any second (then I have this urges to tattoo my body with Into the Wild words so I remember what’s important).
Emile Hirsh – he is the man, the super tramp. It wasn’t really about losing all that weight but about losing himself in a character the way he did. But yes, it was undeniably a very physical performance. I like the way he was starless, I liked the fact he wasn’t Leonardo DiCaprio (no offense), the way he wasn’t a perfect body shaped guy, I liked his messiness. Let’s not forget he was so well supported by the other teammates; Catherine Keener, Vince Vaughn, William Hurt, Marcia Gay Harden, Hal Holbrook, Jena Melone.
Who isn’t inspired by the character he plays?


No comments:

Post a Comment