Saturday, December 10, 2011

Slow it or not slow it

It's been crazy these days, always the same faces coming around every time I watch a movie. It's Michael Fassbender, it's Mia Wasikowska, it's Jessica Chastain, Bryce Dallas Howard (I see The Help and then I go see 50/50 and there she is again) and it's Ryan Gosling. Now every time I went to the theaters there he is, with these long wide shots on him. The protagonist. (The Ides of March and Drive).
Anyway, I wanted to mention something else - the use of slow motion through Ryan Gosling.


With Crazy Stupid Love he plays this metro, ladies man; with this exquisite wardrobe, a tremendous 'photoshopped' abs and irresistible charm. We catch all that pretty quickly. We didn't need the slow motion. It's already a romantic comedy so there will be at some point some clichéd moments.

No no no. It made me scream (not really scream, 'cause I don't scream) at the screen - 'Oh please, really??'.
Why the hell do a slow motion here? It's Ryan Gosling, why would he need a slow motion to make him hotter? Anyway, I still enjoyed the film, made me laugh.


Now, with Drive. He's a much quieter character. I wouldn't consider this film artsy. I think it's a really good film. I left the theater and I couldn't stop thinking how tense it was, it's stillness and composition. Like this really consistent frame. Look how they use the slow motion. The word cliché didn't even cross my mind. And they used it more than once. 

Wow, it was awesome and it worked (at least with me).
Awesome film, awesome performance, awesome to watch in a big screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment