Saturday, February 25, 2012

Oscar Season


Ok, so the Oscars are this Sunday and I completely forgot about it, this week. The days have passed and honestly I’ve been really uninspired. I guess I slowly realize this every year, I’m sure every nominated person deserves to be there. It’s how I see things at the end of the day. Every actor deserves to be there. There are a few exceptions, like Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, which didn’t made me cry and I think the big problem of this film is that it wasn’t able to reach people, to touch them. But generally, they all do tremendous work. Even War Worse, which I thought it had beautiful shots, especially the one when the horse runs through the war fields but the film it’s for six year olds. Yes, there are many other people and films that should be there, like Ryan Gosling, Elizabeth Olsen, like Drive, like Take Shelter, like Alexandre Desplat and at least one of his ten scores last year, but they weren’t. I guess the trick is not minding, right?


It’s really curious because at the start of the season, it was pretty much described as ‘anyone’s game’. Then The Artist proved it completely wrong. This film probably broke a lot of records, because it’s been winning every freaking thing. Then there’s his connection to Hugo, the two films fighting for Best Picture are love letters to a different era of Cinema. One it’s about Silent Film, the other is about a film groundbreaker and lover, Georges Méliès.
The Artist is to me completely irresistible. Hugo, it’s absolutely charming and beautiful. But I would choose The Tree of Life or Moneyball. I simply loved these two.
I now watched the majority of the films and is still is an open run, in many categories.


Jean Dujardin wins Best Actor and my reaction is “Ok…” If I had to choose I would say one hundred times Brad Pitt.
Viola Davis for Best Actress, it’s naturally fair. I think it’s her time. But its good there’s still a race in these two categories. 

Best Supporting Actress – I would choose Jessica Chastain, and if I could push this forward I would do it with all my guts. More than being the Actress of 2011, she is great just so great. When I thought about The Help more than a year ago I could never imagined she would actually be nominated for an Oscar but here she is. And what best way to end the year with an Oscar? God, she was so heartbreaking. It would be a much deserved win. But hey, Octavia Spencer is obviously no less deserving.

Christopher Plummer will win his first Oscar at the age of 82 and it must be so reassuring for any actor…it’s never too late right? I though the joke I read about Max Von Sydow’s role was funny, they said he wanted to be in The Artist instead of Extremely Loud.




The winner for Beat Animated Feature - Rango. 

Two docs I would love to see, enlisted for Best Documentary Short are:

Lucy Walker knows best.

This one will probably win the Oscar. I actually don’t even know if I am able to watch it…


I still haven’t seen all the docs, a category I particularly enjoy, but I’m feeling that the win will be for Undefeated or Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory. I wouldn’t be surprised if Paradise Lost won.


My favorite Oscar win of my short life was Marion Cotillard in La Vie en Rose. I don’t know how she did it, but she got it. All I know is that I was jumping of joy around 5 a.m in the morning. I remember this moment every year.
I don’t know if I’m excited about Sunday, I’ll probably get a bit when it starts but until then I am thinking about the irony of things. Like this song played in Moneyball. “I want my money back, just enjoy the show, I want my money back”. Instead it would be something like, “I want my neurons back, just enjoy the show.”

No comments:

Post a Comment