Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Wolf of Wall Street

Directed by Martin Scorsese.
Written by Terrence Winter.

The Wolf of Wall Street is about looking what’s beyond the powder and the ass. In a daring resume, I would say it is America. Jordan Belfort is America, though definitely smarter, that office is America, in its deficient form of the search of the futile American dream, and those people riding the subway are America, in the sense that they are the ones suffering from all the Jordan Belforts.

This film is not about celebrating Jordan Belfort, it’s about exposing his vicious wrongs. Can it be more explicit? How? Do you need someone to tell you that what he’s doing is wrong, that there a lot of people like him and that there are a lot of others inspired to be like him?

I’m sure Americans may find it hard to deal with this film because first and foremost it feels like, at least to me, a great portraits of America’s economy – a great part of America. Jordan Belfort knew America; this is a guy that knows America so well that he will keep winning.
One of the things that I hate and scares me the most, after humans, it’s probably sails and all the rest of its parts, stock brokers, marketing, publicity, you name it, because it is a pure, clear and indisputable matter of taking advantage from others. I am not an American citizen but I can guarantee you I was thinking about the so called ins and outs of this story all along. I couldn’t laugh for the most part of the film because I was constantly thinking about the 99%. I think it's because of how well told this story is, by showing us these men's actions. I was thinking about these one percenters and I was thinking how the middle class has been screwed by these people throughout decades. And I was thinking how the one percenters will keep thriving from them because today they not only are richer, in fact they get richer and richer, to the point they will bribe everyone, they will bribe presidents, they will even become presidents themselves. They own everything, they own everyone and today they won’t even go to jail, not even for one month, much less the twenty something months Jordan Belfort’s got.
So I don't think this film lacks the representation of the 'poor', the other part of the society, the 99%, it is there, it should be in your minds.


Matthew McConaughey gives you a pretty clear explanation of his work at the beginning of the film. He says to Jordan that he’s not interested in improving his investor’s shares; he is interested in his own profit. The thing about these movies is that you are getting the hard core truth. And if a particular company, a particular man from Wall Street comes and says the whole picture is an inaccurate portrait, it's wrong, it’s like the LGBT community, at times, claiming a particular space, claiming a possible tendency that it isn't necessarily exclusive. And sometimes, it’s the usual getting away from the main cause – by talking about the drugs or the parties, they are not talking about their vicious work, many times corrupt, of taking advantage of other people’s money, because this is necessarily universal. There’s no denying it. Every one deals with this in their lives, there are always salesmen out there working for a living.


This film gives you a brilliant sequence followed by another brilliant sequence again and again. When you think of one scene in particular you remember another. When you think of this line you think of another brilliant dialogue. There’s a certain way to look at this film, I mean, I didn’t laugh once when Jordan Belfast pasted out on the floor and couldn't walk to his car, I was both horrified by the situation, and mesmerized because how brilliantly executed it was. This film is great in doing these scenes because it makes it a clear cut for you. Would you really think that the way he was ‘altered’, he would get home safe like that? Then you see the car smashed. I honestly thought he had killed someone. After all the shit he has done, do you still trust what he says?
Leonardo Dicaprio, my god Leonardo Dicaprio. The energy he put into creating Jordan Belfort goes beyond my imagination. I can’t imagine doing what he had to do day in and day out. The exhilarating and breathless speeches, the constant animal like behavior, the endless and brilliant dialogues, he really gives everything. He ends up reinventing himself.

But in all, this is what I think; it is my personal experience with the film. Now the thought that people may say they feel like experimenting drugs because the scenes are so amusing is just their problem, no one can’t control that side of a film, for better or worse. And it also means how dumb people may be. I obviously can’t understand, or I mean, I understand the backlash, I just think it’s pretty stupid.

This feels like such an accomplished film because people like Jordan Belfort will always get away from their acts. This film is about looking beneath the ass, it’s about understanding beyond the fucks given, both literally and verbally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment