Monday, October 17, 2011

Quote It

Everything Must Go - Written and Directed by Dan Rush


Nick Halsey is an alcoholic who just lost his job, his wife and his house. He’s holding his life in his front yard. Samantha is a pregnant wife that just moved in across the street making her his new neighbor. Their different situations in life will bring them closer and help them reviewing what’s really going on with their lives. I find this passage really interesting. Samantha tries to talk some sense to Nick but something else is revealed.


Samantha: You know, you need some help.

Nick: I’ve tried help.
Samantha: Yeah, well, maybe it wasn’t the right kind. You know, there’s new medications, new therapies.
Nick: I don’t need medication.
Samatha: Well, you can’t live like this.
Nick: Why not?
Samantha: ‘Cause it’s not normal.
Nick: Normal? What’s normal? That guy Stanley what’s-his-name down in the blue house, his wife blew her brains out last month ‘cause her daughter didn’t make cheerleading. Kenny practically lives by himself, you know? Elliot and Kitty, I can’t even tell you what they do. I’m no different than any of you. I just don’t hide in my house, okay?
Samantha: What does that mean?
Nick: What?
Samantha: “Any of you”.
Nick: Nothing, nothing. I’m just saying…
Samantha: No, you said “any of you”.
Nick: Never mind.
Samantha: No, go on. I’m a big girl. Say it.
Nick: I don’t want to do this right now.
Samantha: Say it.
Nick: What’s his name?
Samantha: Who?
Nick: Your husband. John? Jeff?
Samantha: Jack.
Nick: Jack. He started out in a regional office, right?
Samantha: Yeah.
Nick: He impressed some people who moved him up to the big leagues. How many years?
Samantha: Two.
Nick: Two years?
Samantha: Yeah.
Nick: Now he’s back at the regionals. You’re sacrificing your promising career as a photographer for him.
Samantha: So?
Nick: I figure you out in five minutes. He drinks. They transferred him out here ‘cause he fucked something up. You probably thought it was a good idea to come out here. Might even save your marriage. For better or for worse, right?
Samantha: Right.
Nick: I just wanted to know one thing. What kind of man lets his wife, his pregnant wife, move alone across the country? And what kind of woman stays with a man like that?
Samantha: What kind of woman? What, so it’s my fault? You must be really good at your job, you know, just reading people so easily, figuring out what bullshit to sell’em.
Nick: Hey?
Samantha: God, what?
Nick: You need to put up some curtains.
Samantha: Why? So I don’t have some drunk staring at me all day?
Nick: No, so you don’t have to look at your future.


Simplicity gets to be tricky when it comes to cinema. When I see this expressed simplicity in ‘Everything Must Go’ I find it mesmerizing. I think this film is beautiful and even romantic without having a romantic story line. 

No comments:

Post a Comment