Monday, February 21, 2011

Falling Out of Love

Quoting Julia Stiles
“I think audiences, producers and directors included, develop crushes on actors (actresses in particular) and then lose interest and move on to the next one. [...] There are a handful of actors who sustain interest because it's exciting to watch them get better at what they do. I want to be one of those actors.”

I don't know how long ago she said that but to listen from an actress it makes all come to reality. I know, you’re so right Julia Stiles, because it’s exactly how all this works. Actors come and go; it’s only a matter of time. Even if they continue to exciting and surprise us and specially to improve, there’s always the arrival of someone new, even if we don’t forget them. And so the list of admirable actors just keeps growing by the year.


I remember when I was completely crazy for Jodie Foster and wanting to see all of her films, or Meryl Streep or a cycle of watching all of Keira Knightley’s films in theaters since "Love Actually" or even relive old souls like watching fifteen films of Catherine Deneuve in a couple of weeks. I don’t see a film with Jodie Foster for a really long time now and I really miss Keira’s face in a screen theater to but it doesn’t mean I’m going to stop watching Jodie’s films and I will always support Keira Knightley because she’s a precious relic, and yes, she's only 26 years old (and I lover!).
Because we can still see actors overcoming the years, Annette Benning got her first Oscar Nomination in 1990 and after twenty years here she is again, Kate Winslet always amazing through the years and what better example can be Meryl Streep? Like Julia Stiles says, because it’s still exciting to watch them get better of what they do (though, I don’t know how Meryl Steep can get any better!).


Meryl Streep in 1980, winning her first Oscar.
I think this industry is mostly a temporarily thing, it expires quickly and then out of completely nowhere new faces arrives and it’s an instant crush…because despite whatever, you live the moment and how you feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment