Monday, May 13, 2013

Lore

A film by Cate Shortland.

Looking at the trailer of Lore, for a moment I would say it looks like a Terrence Malick film. There’s another film I thought, while watching Lore and I remember being like a soft, if not as naturalistic or raw, or harsh, as in the story is by far more realistic, version of Wuthering Heights, but in this case, set in the realms of the Second World War and like Wuthering Heights, it’s a devastating beauty.


In any case, Lore is an unconventional and exceptionally beautiful film about the courses of the Second World War in the devastated and confused Germany. It’s also an unconventional coming of age story, simply because the girl is knowing herself in a position of an immediate need to become a woman in the middle of confusion and devastation. Cate Shortland based her project on the book The Dark Room, by Rachel Seiffert, and her take is unique. I don’t think this is a Second World War film we are used to see, certainly not a typical one. I think it is such a complete and accomplished film, the more I think about it, the more I think it’s really good. It’s intense from the moment it starts, keeps a beautiful line always focused on this young girl, it becomes a great perspective of her, but it also keeps a close distance to the rest of the characters, mainly child and young actors. The storytelling is cohesive, introspective and patient. The casting was also great, I think. Lore is a fascinating tale.
This is why I’m here talking about it, to recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment