Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Mr. and Mrs. Smith Revisited


Here’s a dare. How many times have you seen Mr. and Mrs. Smith? Because I will probably beat you, and also because I don’t feel like, you know, something to be extremely proud of, please join me and/or come forward and say that you have seen it more than, let’s say, fifteen times.
I revisited Mr. and Mrs. Smith the other weekend. This film can be a lot of things. First of all, it’s a classic! It’s a blockbuster movie, it cost a bloody lot, it wasn’t a massive box office success, like the ones of today, but it was quite alright for what it is. A film with two of the most prolific movie stars of all time, and that to my genuine, young view, no one can ever reach their powerfulness of stardom and also being able of gathering such dignity and wisdom to their career and lives. But this is another story. And now that I am in this line, you know, this is the film that brought Shiloh Jolie-Pitt into this world and so on. Let’s just say that the waters have settled a bit. Also, at this point, I didn’t even have to say that I was clearly always Team Jolie.



Mr. and Mrs. Smith it’s silly, it is hilarious but it’s also able to bring some truth in the middle of it, about marriage, about commitment. But it is really funny. As I was watching it, I could still remember every single line, the details of different scenes, mannerisms of the actors and so on. Because I saw it so many times I blame this film (among every other English language film) for my learning of the English word.
Looking at it today it is even funnier. I can’t help but laugh when they are pointing the guns to each other with their puppy faces, after the sexy violent fight. The dramatic picks are especially good for a laugh.


And don’t get me started with these two human beings, because could they be any more attractive? The answer is no. No wonder the explosion it feels like watching Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Angelina Jolie was in the best shape of her life, pretty much. She looked “chubby”, and I have to necessarily emphasize on the quotation marks, because it is obvious that her natural look of skinny skinny is still there. But she went through tougher periods, I’m thinking for example, in the film Wanted. And Brad Pitt had just got out of Troy, so, you know, he was in shape, to say the least.
So Mr. and Mrs. Smith happened, it premiered, and then came the rumors, the bellies, the photographers, the security fights, and the headlines with Shiloh’s mother, the red carpets, Oscar nominations…no one could get enough of them, no one. But they still live, and that’s because Hollywood does its trick, like life does its trick. Eventually, High School Musicals and Twilights come along. And at the end of the day life goes on. I think this is part of what Mr. and Mrs. Smith means in the world (of Hollywood). I also believe Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are a world apart. And I thought I was going for a two sentences kind of post only to end up with this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment